On Tuesday, US Tennis Open organizers said the cancelation of next month’s Washington DC tournament “in no way affects” the Grand Slam behind-closed doors planned for the end of August.
The Citi Open tournament was supposed to mark the resumption of the men’s tennis season after the lockout of coronavirus but was called off in the middle of the pandemic supposed to “continued instability.”
The event was scheduled to begin on August 13 in the U.S. capital, but the ATP Tour has postponed back until later in the month.
Tennis will go on
With some leading figures in men’s tennis casting doubts on the hardcourt Grand Slam. The Cincinnati Open and US Open will both be back-to – back in New York from August 20th.
“This decision does not impact the US Open or the Western & Southern Open in any way,” said the United States Tennis Association (USTA) in a statement.
“We ‘re confident that the three guiding principles stay in order.”
The U.S. authorities are unable to deal with the coronavirus epidemic. As outbreaks grow to 4 million, with over 140,000 deaths.
At any New York tournament, no fans will enter. Because of the protection precautions in place to try to avoid COVID-19 infections at a site that was as a temporary coronavirus hospital field. When the city was the epicenter of the pandemic.
Earlier this month, world number one Novak Djokovic said he was unsure. Unsure on whether to fly to play at the US Open.
World number three Dominic Thiem announced last week that the tournament was “on shaky legs.”
The women’s WTA tour will resume in Palermo, Italy, August 3. Followed by a Prague tournament the same week. As a new hardcourt championship in Kentucky featuring Serena Williams.
Since mid-March the tennis season has been at a standstill due to the worldwide virus epidemic.