President Donald Trump said Saturday morning that he is planning to restore some funding to the World Health Organization following last month’s White House froze U.S. contributions to the international agency despite widespread criticism from congressional global leaders and Democrats who view the move as dangerous.
Trump wrote in a Twitter post that payments could be 10 percent of what the U.S. has traditionally paid to the international health organization, “matching much smaller payments from China.” He said no definitive decision has yet been taken, and funds are still being frozen.
World Health Organization vs US
In April, the US cut funding to WHO after Trump said the organization made errors that “caused too much suffering” in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic. He said there should be a review of the actions of the WHO, and that “one of the WHO’s most risky and costly decisions” was its resistance to the travel restrictions he imposed on China and other countries at the outbreak ‘s onset.
To further finance its response to the pandemic. The WHO also requested other countries to fill in funding holes created by the U.S. withdrawal of the funds.
“The United States of America has been a longtime and supportive partner of the WHO. We hope it will continue to be so,” said WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus after Trump suspended funding at a press conference. “We regret the US President’s decision to order a hold in World Health Organization funding.”
Trump’s decision to withhold World Health Organization funding attracted strong condemnation from world leaders. Secretary-General of the United Nations António Guterres said it was “not the time” to slash funding. When the world is facing a pandemic.
In a Twitter post, Germany’s Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said “blaming does not help. The virus knows no limits “and the WHO was still suffering from funding issues. International policy chief of the European Union Josep Borrell said he “deeply regretted” the U.S. decision to avoid financing.