White Island volcano eruption in New Zealand on Monday. Desperate efforts are underway to locate any survivors of a deadly volcanic eruption, which killed at least five people, injured at least a dozen more and cruise ship tourists missing.
White Island volcano eruption in New Zealand
When did the eruption take place?
The eruption took place with a little warning early Monday afternoon local time. While a nearby cruise ship Ovation of the Seas was touring the volcano which contains dozens of tourists from.
- The eruption began about 2:11 p.m. local time (0111 GMT) on White Island.
- As it is about 50 kilometres from the east coast of North Island.
- Sending up smoke visible from the mainland.
The eruption of New Zealand’s White Island Volcano
White Island volcano erupted in New Zealand causes at least
- Five dead and
- 20 tourists injured
- 23 people transported to shore
- Also, over 27 remain on the island
CEO of the New Zealand Cruise Association Kevin O’Sullivan confirmed that:
- There are from 30 to 38 of the victims, who are passengers of the cruise ship Ovation of the Seas.
In addition, The Police are working with the National Emergency Management Agency to coordinate the search and rescue operation.
Australian Prime Minister
- He offered emergency aid to New Zealand.
- As well as, He confirmed that Australian tourists have been “caught up” in the disaster.
I have been in touch with @jacindaardern to offer our full support with whatever they need and our authorities are working closely together. I will be staying in direct contact as events continue to unfold. We will provide updates once they are confirmed and are available.
— Scott Morrison (@ScottMorrisonMP) December 9, 2019
Live: White Island eruption