The US administration announced on Friday the creation of a new mechanism for “humanitarian” exports to Iran. Which aimed at facilitating the delivery of basic needs to the Islamic Republic, which is under severe economic sanctions.
Although the “channel” is officially aimed at
- Facilitating the arrival of humanitarian exports, observers considered it would be an additional obstacle to trade with Tehran.
Harsh economic sanctions imposed by Washington on Tehran
Despite the harsh economic sanctions imposed by Washington on Tehran. The administration insists that there is no ban on the export of food, medicines and other humanitarian needs.
But most commercial companies avoid doing business with Iran, lest they are subject to US Treasury sanctions.
Washington wants to censor “humanitarian” exports to Iran
Said Brian Hawk, the Iranian State Department official.
The new mechanism
- It will make it easier for foreign governments, banking institutions and private companies to engage in legitimate humanitarian trade with the Iranian people.
- While at the same time reducing the risk of these funds falling into the wrong hands.
Business with Tehran
Any business that wants to do business with Tehran will have to provide monthly “unprecedented” information. Including invoices and detailed information about its customers.
Including whether they have been in
- The US
- UN blacklist for the past five years
Bryan O’Toole, a former adviser to US Treasury Secretary Barack Obama, said:
The measures aimed at
- Collecting information rather than helping the Iranian people.
- Several foreign banks would not be able to provide the detailed information required.
Washington unilaterally withdrew in 2018 from an international deal with Tehran over its nuclear program and reimposed tough sanctions on Iran’s economy.
The other parties to the agreement, however, reaffirm their commitment to the 2015 agreement.
The Europeans have set up Instex, a barter mechanism that allows them to trade with Iran despite US sanctions, in sectors such as agricultural food or health.