The United States and Iran – decades of enmity
May 8, 2018:-
- President Donald Trump unilaterally cancelled the international nuclear program agreement with Iran in spite of strong European protest.
- As well as, Trump not only abolished the treaty but rather promised countries that import oil from them with severe sanctions.
July 22, 2018:-
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, in response to the US withdrawal from the nuclear agreement.
- Threatened to “disrupt the Persian Gulf road” to export oil.
- Accused Trump of intending to destroy Iran by imposing economic sanctions on Iran, threatening the United States with ” Mother of Wars”.
- Finally, Iran has also expressed its intention in advance to resume uranium enrichment.
August 7, 2018:-
The United States gradually tightened its sanctions on Iran.
- This time by freezing Iranian funds.
- Preventing it from concluding deals on raw materials.
September 25, 2018:-
The European Union envisaged creating a legal system in which to avoid US sanctions imposed on Tehran, but this step did not have much impact.
April 8, 2019:-
- The United States designated the Iranian Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization.
- In the first US move of its kind to a foreign government organization.
- In response, the Iranian leadership declared that the United States is a “state sponsor of terrorism”.
June 13, 2019:-
The United States blamed Iran for the bombing of two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
- Earlier, in May the United States accused Tehran of being behind the attack on two Saudi oil tankers.
- As well as, US President Trump has ordered the reinforcement of American forces in the Gulf region.
- In a tweet on his Twitter account, Trump vowed to Iran “destroy”.
- Revolutionary Guards shot down a US drone flying over the waters of the Persian Gulf.
- As well as, The United States rejected justifications in which Tehran said the plane had penetrated Iranian airspace.
- Finally, Trump – at the last minute – stopped a retaliatory response from the Pentagon against Iran.
- The British navy stops an oil tanker off Gibraltar and accuses its captain of breaching European Union sanctions.
- In addition, doubts raised about the transport of the “Grass 1”, which carries the flag of Panama, to transport Iranian oil to Syria.
- The deadline set by Iran for a partial withdrawal of the nuclear deal.
- As well as, Tehran announced that it does not intend to adhere to the 3.67% of the uranium enrichment stipulated in the agreement.
On July 19:-
- The Iranian Revolutionary Guard stopped the “Stina Umbro” tanker carrying the British flag in the Strait of Hormuz.
- So, in response to the arrest of the Iranian tanker “Grass 1” in Gibraltar.
The Iranian oil tanker was released in Gibraltar
During the summit of the seven major industrialized countries.
French President Emmanuel Macron took the initiative to hold an American and iranian summit, but his attempt was unsuccessful.
On September 23:-
Iran released the British tanker in the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran‘s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, renewed his opposition to negotiations with America, describing it as futile.
- Eventually, General Qasem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force, was killed in a US airstrike targeting his motorcade near Baghdad airport.
- Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Khamenei, vows to avenge the killing of the powerful man in the Iranian regime.
- Which has a wide influence in the Middle East, through a network of arms of pro-Iranian Shiite militias.