September 25, 2019, will be the first Emirati astronaut to be launched at the International Space Station (ISS), the first Arab astronaut to enter the station.
The Emirates Astronaut Program
The first Emirati astronaut to launch on 25 September.
The Emirates Astronaut Program launched by;
- HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi.
- Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, in 2017 to train.
- prepare a team of UAE astronauts and send them into space for scientific missions.
A press conference
The announcement of the details of the trip and the date of departure.
Yousuf Hamad Al Shaibani, Director General of Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Center, said that:
One astronaut will launch to the International Space Station on Wednesday 25 September 2019. As part of a Russian space mission aboard the Soyuz MS15 spacecraft in order to spend eight days aboard the station. As well as, Onboard the Soyuz MS12, the second astronaut will be his replacement and will continue training for other missions in the future.
Salem Al Marri said that:
- The Assistant Director-General for Scientific
- Technical Affairs at the Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Center
- Also, The Director of the Emirates Astronaut Program
- The flight postponed from April to September this year because of the October Soyuz MS10 accident.
- The safety of astronauts is our top priority, so the flight postponed to September 25.
- So, The Launch to the International Space Station will be this year despite the obstacle faced by our partners in the Russian space agency Roskosmos.
The first Emirati astronaut selected
He stressed that there is a plan to transfer some tests of astronauts in the UAE to apply in the future. Explaining that one astronaut will be selected to fly, the other will be in the reserving phase.
Eventually, the function of the reserve pilot ends when the missile flies, noting that it will be in the stage of full readiness Two hours before the launch.
In anticipation of any emergency conditions:
- A NASA astronaut
- A Russian astronaut
- A UAE astronaut will be aboard
Tasks applied to the first Emirati astronaut selected
He explained that for the first time an astronaut will present a video tour in Arabic to the International Space Station, where he will
- Explain the components of the station.
- The devices and equipment on board..
- How to conduct experiments in the absence of gravity.
- As well as, Experiments to monitor and photograph the planet and interact with the earth stations.
- Also, Transfer of information and experiments.
In addition, He stressed that the content of these tours will serve as a documentary reference in Arabic, available to all interested in the space sector in the Arab world.