A new cholesterol vaccine
- A vaccine designed to immunize people against high levels of cholesterol and narrowing of the arteries.
- Which, resulting from the accumulation of fatty substances (atherosclerosis) will be available soon.
According to the results of a study published in the medical journal “European Heart Journal”.
- These results obtained after experiments in mice.
- If the human clinical trials that currently conducted confirm these results.
- It will be possible to improve existing treatments.
- But in order to fight cholesterol, doctors advise a balanced diet, regular physical activity and never smoke.
Can cholesterol be fought with a vaccine?
The cardiovascular diseases caused by atherosclerosis are the leading cause of disease and death worldwide.
Currently, available medications such as Stanines may be used to lower the level of LDL cholesterol but should be taken on a daily basis.
Although it can tolerate well in general, it may cause undesirable negative side effects in some people.
The researchers at the University of Leiden Medical Center and the Netherlands Applied Science Research Center
Tested the effectiveness of a vaccine that is able to lower the cholesterol level in mice with a risk of heart disease. As it was fed with a diet rich in fatty substances for 18 weeks.
In the context of the study, the researchers noted that:
- The mice that took the vaccine produced antibodies.
- They reduced their level of LDL cholesterol in the blood by 53%.
- This vaccine had no effects on HDL.
- It reduced the total arteriosclerosis of the aorta by 64%.
Millions of patients around the world are still waiting for this vaccine to officially announce so that it is available to everyone.