British Foreign Secretary Dominic Rapp said:
- It is time for a great opportunity for friendship between the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
- In addition, I am pleased that Karen Pierce will go ahead with this exciting new chapter.
The American Network indicated that:
The move to appoint Peres, who is currently her country’s ambassador to the United Nations. It comes at a time when Britain is embarking on making decisive efforts to conclude a trade agreement with the United States following its departure from the European Union.
Related Topic: European Union gives Britain its recent agreement to secede
Britain appoints a new ambassador to the United States
The Ambassador of the United Kingdom
Ambassador Karen Pierce said:
- She was “honoured to have been asked to represent the UK in the US.”
- “I think it is the UK’s single most important relationship.”
- “There is a deep bond between Britain and the US, built on many pillars.”
The former UK Ambassador
- The British Embassy has been helmed by Charge d’Affaires Michael Tatham since July 2019.
- The previous ambassador Kim Darroch resigned following a leak of his private diplomatic cables disparaging the Trump administration.
He had told 10 Downing Street that:
His resignation came after Trump said:
- The White House would “no longer deal with” Darroch, who Trump called “not liked or well thought of within the US.”
- Eventually, Darroch also left his post after then-Prime Minister candidate Johnson refused to support him.