Cesar Sayoc – the man responsible for sending Pipe bombs to Democrats and liberals

Cesar Sayoc – the man responsible for sending Pipe bombs to Democrats and liberals

More than a week back CNN, many high-profile liberal celebrities and prominent Democrats had received improvised explosive devices (pipe bomb). The man accused of this is a 56 years old Cesar Sayoc, the FBI searched his electronic devices and said that had been planning this “domestic terrorist attack” for months, 

They also discovered “files containing the addresses of his intended victims, as well as return labels that match those used on the padded mailing envelopes carrying the improvised explosive devices,” according to a letter from prosecutors sent Tuesday to the judge presiding over Sayoc’s case in Florida.

“The defendant conducted a domestic terrorist attack targeting at least 15 victims,” Geoffrey S. Berman, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of 

New York, wrote in the letter to U.S. Magistrate Judge Edwin Torres of the Southern District of Florida. “Metadata from the electronic devices indicates that the defendant started planning the attack as early as July 2018.”

According to the letter there was a document created on Sayoc’s laptop on July 26 contains that had repeated copies of the return address in Sunrise, Florida, that was used on the parcels as well as the name of Democratic Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz. His internet search history also reveals that back in July 15 he was looking for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s home address. 

Further search revealed that his laptop also contained files that contained addresses for “numerous additional targets,” and the FBI is warning each of those individuals, the letter states.

“The evidence of the defendant’s terror campaign is still being collected but is already overwhelming,” Berman wrote. “Put simply, only the defendant’s arrest and incapacitation resulting from his detention were sufficient to stop his attack.”

Berman requested that the Florida resident be transferred to New York to “face the consequences of his actions” and urged that he remain behind bars pending trial “due to both his dangerousness to the community and risk of flight.”

“There are no conditions that could adequately protect the public from the defendant and assure his appearance in Manhattan for trial,” Berman wrote.

After a day-long nationwide manhunt 

Sayoc was arrested Oct. 26 following a days-long authorities apprehended him in the parking lot of an Auto Zone mechanic shop in Plantation, Florida.

According to reports “Sayoc can be sentenced to up to 48 years in prison if convicted of the five federal charges he’s facing: interstate transportation of an explosive, illegal mailing of explosives, threats against former presidents and certain other persons, threatening interstate communications, and assaulting current and former federal officers.”

Sayoc’s fingerprint was in the database as he was arrested earlier in Florida and hence was a match to one of the envelopes sent to a Democratic congresswoman according to FBI Director Christopher Wray.

Sayoc’s DNA was also found on some of the wires used in the improvised explosive devices (IEDs), according to law enforcement officials.

“We do believe that we caught the right guy,” Wray said at a press conference Oct. 26.

One of Sayoc’s attorneys told ABC News after Monday’s court appearance that the fingerprint and DNA evidence is “in question” and requires a complete forensic analysis.

Sayoc was tracked down using a mobile phone, sources told ABC News. Authorities have recovered a cellphone, a laptop computer and other electronic devices from him.

Sayoc’s residence is listed as his mother’s home in Aventura, but he was, for a time, living in the white van covered in stickers of President Donald Trump, which is now being investigated.

Sayoc is expected to be prosecuted in federal court in New York City, a senior law enforcement official told ABC News last week.

Reports state that Sayoc has a long history of criminal charges, including at least eight arrests in Florida alone, ranging from giving false information to get a refund to grand theft auto.

And in 2002, Sayoc was arrested for threatening to discharge a destructive device after he allegedly called Florida Power & Light and “threatened to blow up” the power utility company, allegedly saying “it would be worse than September 11,” the arrest record states. He pleaded guilty and was ultimately sentenced to probation, according to court documents.

Court documents also show that, in 2014, Sayoc worked as a “road manager for a variety of traveling male revue shows.”

“The FBI’s analysis of the defendant’s IEDs is ongoing, but it is clear that they were dangerous,” David Brown, FBI special agent, wrote in the Oct. 26 complaint against Sayoc. “The IEDs that have been analyzed thus far contained energetic material with explosive qualities. The defendant also placed shards of glass in several of the IEDs for the apparent purpose of maximizing harm to his intended victims through the detonation of the devices that he had mailed.”

Investigators have not determined a motive for the suspected mail bombs